Twelve artists were announced as MK MVP winners on MK's website on Thursday. Production companies and musicians had teamed up to develop concepts for submission to the MK MVP's for 2012. The announced winners will receive a funded video production as prizes.
The MK Music Video Project has been running for three years. According to MK's Content Executive, Stephan Potgieter, 2012 saw the amount of submissions received almost double since 2011. "It's an amazing project for us to continue because we've seen the growth and progress of some of our past MVP participants. There are quite a few budding artists and bands within the SA music scene that are showing tremendous potential. If the MK MVP provides them with an opportunity and a platform for them to get their name out there, then that's great! "Potgieter said.
When it came to choosing the videos that were to be commissioned, the MK MVP judging panel looked at the following elements: band/artist positioning, the choice of song, visual treatment of the proposed video and how well the concept complemented the MK brand.
The 12 artists, who'll each get a music video commissioned by MK, are:
· aKING, Jezebel to be produced by Supra Familias
· Bicycle Thief, Goodbye Ian Curtis to be produced by Motion City Films
· Die Skynmaagde, Die Kommunis Sokkie to be produced by Sound Surgeons CC
· Die Tuin Dwergies, Blou Gras to be produced by VPH Films
· Gazelle, Val Van Die Ryk to be produced by 187 Pictures
· Jack Parow, Afrikaans is Dood to be produced by Little Big Productions
· Jakkals, RumTrifle to be produced by Crave Pictures
· P.H. Fat, Business Business Crash to be produced by CAB
· Shortstraw, Waterworks to be produced by Mustard Post Production
· Spoegwolf, Somersetwes to be produced by The Suits
· The Plastics, Best Pretenders to be produced by Andover
· Van Coke Kartel, Buitenkant to be produced by Groundglass
All 12 music videos will be premiered exclusively on MK in November.